Saturday, January 2, 2010

A New Year's Resolution

It's 2010 and everyone and their mom has a blog-- not literally, but very close to it. So here's our contribution to the interwebs: between the two of us, we plan to read and blog about 210 young adult novels in the coming year.

Why the No-Twilight Zone?

No disrespect to Ms. Meyer, but our goal is to highlight novels outside of this (and other) high-profile series. We may review new titles from our favorite childhood authors, or Newbery award winners, but we also hope to highlight books that might not be on everyone's radar.

Who are we?

MB

My love affair with books began at age 2. I have read and enjoyed fiction since I can remember. My only requirement is a good story. The big joke in my family is that my parents wouldn't let me watch R rated movies, but they would let me read the books they were based on.

When SB told me about this project, I immediately jumped on the bandwagon. My current average is 2-4 books per week. As an adult I read a lot of science-fiction and fantasy, but as a child I shunned it (with the exception of the lovely Ms. L'Engle). So for this project, my main focus will be the world of young adult sci-fi and fantasy. I will also be reading and reviewing some of my favorite young adult novels, and ones I wish I'd read as a kid.

SB

My childhood loves were reading and creative writing-- one sort of lead to the other, like inhaling and exhaling. I've been struggling for the past year to resume the writing habit, only to realize that I first needed to take a deep breath.

It's remarkable how much children's literature has changed since I was a kid; contemporary novels reflect even the darkest realities of young readers. I have a vague sense of what was missing from the libraries of my childhood-- multicultural voices, topics considered "off limits," books that challenged the limits of their medium. There's a lot for me to catch up on from the past 15 years, and I look forward to sharing my discoveries.

(That said, I have already started my first title of the decade, and it's a classic.)

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to blogging! :) I look forward to reading + learning from your shared journey! I would love it if you reviewed Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card: my brother-in-law gave me that recently, and it sent me spinning in a number of directions.

    ReplyDelete