Sunday, January 24, 2010

Peak - Roland Smith

Oh. My. God. This story is...fascinating, terrifying, frustrating, awe-inpiring and brilliant. Peak Marcello is a climber, and at the beginning of the story is caught climbing a skyscraper in Manhattan. Instead of being sent to jail, he is "rescued" by Joshua Wood, his famous mountain climbing father.

It comes to pass that Wood has brought his son to Everest, hoping that Peak, at age 14, will be the youngest person to ever reach the summit, thereby saving Wood's ailing mountain climbing business and netting him millions of dollars.

This book blew my mind. I read for sport, you know; it's a hobby, something to pass the time, and while I will get sucked into whatever story I'm reading at the moment, it's very rare that a book will truly impress me. I finished this late last night, wrote down my thoughts so I could post today, and went to bed. Where I could. not. sleep. I kept turning the book over and over in my mind.

Peak was definitely written for the young adult set; the story and language are fairly simple, and the story is narrated by the 14-year-old Peak. However, the subject matter and setting will make this a fantastic adventure for anyone who cares to read it.

This book is definitely going on my "to recommend" list. Ages 10 and up.

PS: Roland Smith lives in Oregon. Go buy more of his books, and support this wonderful Northwest author.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds AMAZING- I will have to check this out... preferably on a weekend, in case I lose sleep over it!

    ReplyDelete