Thursday, February 4, 2010

When You Reach Me-- Rebecca Stead



I knew something was up when two staff at my favorite book store listed When You Reach Me (a young adult novel!) as one of their Top 5 books for the year, and every single review I saw was favorable. I ordered it and by the time it uh, reached me, it had won the 2009 Newbery Medal. I don't have many award-winners on my reading list, for reasons previously mentioned, but I was so intrigued by the reviews-- purposely vague, but enticing-- I didn't think twice about picking up this book.

There is so much going on in When You Reach Me I can’t describe it, and it’s done so flawlessly that I won’t do the book the disservice of trying. It’s a mystery involving a sudden attack on a friend, a missing housekey, a series of unsigned notes, and the growing feeling that something terrible is about to happen. It’s suspenseful and deeply, surprisingly emotional at the same time. It also alludes heavily to my mom’s favorite book ever; it freaked me out a little bit because I felt the book was written especially for me, but I think other readers will feel the same way.

The best thing, the absolute best thing about this book, is that it totally made me feel like my childhood self. Reading it was electric and effortless. I think when I was younger all books seemed like that to me, but it’s been a long time since I’ve finished a book in the course of a single weekday. I structured that day around reading time. I positively tingled with anticipation during my non-reading hours. I stayed up late at night to finish it, and when I finished it I got scared when I turned off the light. It made me feel uncertain about reality in a way that I thought could only happen when your mind is inexperienced and malleable.

You'll have to experience it for yourself.

What are you waiting for?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks to your recommendation (and for lending me the book:)). I really enjoyed it as well. It's been awhile since I read a contemporary young adult novel, and I agree - this one reminded me of what I liked to read. Beyond the "mystery" parts of it, I really enjoyed the way that the author wrote about the angst of making and keeping friends when you are the age of the main character. The feelings of guilt, uncertainty, passive/aggressiveness all rang very true to me.

    I'm still trying to work out the mystery fully to be honest! I wish the book hadn't ended so quickly.

    Thank you for the wonderful recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for lending this to us. I loved it too. I thought the Mom's character, elements of the life they had in that neighborhood (where I used to live for a year+!)... it was just a really well done book. I will be recommending it to many folks, and I want to read her first book now. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete